Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Big Loser Challenge

     Now don't get it confused with "The Biggest Loser" but this is the start of my mission/journey/adventure...or whatever you want to call it, to a healthier and lighter on the feet life. Let me take you on a walk through a part of my life that has brought me to this point. 


     Weight has never been an issue for me. Even when I was at my heaviest I just sort of laughed at it and rationalized that since my physical abilities didn't seem to be effected much I thought I was alright. I've always been athletic and busy so I never watched what I ate because I always found a way to work it off, mostly through playing basketball and football. Throughout my life I would gain weight then lose it really quick, then gain it back, then lose it again. My most previous weight gain, however, wasn't like the times before. I was already weighing at 340 lbs when my father passed away in 2007. A very short two months later I was easily over 400lbs. My main source of "comfort" was that lovely little white grain called "rice." That has always been my favorite food and was my best friend when it came to food :).

    Now I'm at a point where I need to make a decision if I want to work at living a long healthy life or have health complications as early as right now. There has been many cases of some sort of heart disease in my family from diabetes to heart attacks. Losing weight won't be the ultimate answer to avoid what history has shown me but it is definately a good way to start, and stops my life from getting shorter.

    The Planet 94.1 has started its "Big Loser" contest this year and is going to kick off the first weigh in this coming Wednesday the 19th. I'm one of the very fortunate people that has been picked to participate. There will be 10 people total and the contest will go on for 10 weeks. I'll be following the Weight Watchers diet plan and working out with a trainer from the Washington City Rec Center at least two times a week. I'll be updating my progress as much as possible, from what I ate to what types of work outs I did. Of course it's a competition and I want to win but my main goal is to drop the weight and get back on track to staying fit. As of right now I'm 6'0", 43.1% body fat making my total weight at about 408 lbs. and my body burns 3326 Calories/day when at rest. Tonight will be my "last supper" and I'll be ready to rock and roll come tomorrow after weigh ins.

     In closing keep an eye out, especially every Wednesday to see the happenings and the update on my weight. It's been an exciting time for all of this and its been coming so fast I hope its going to work out. At times I feel nervous like I would before a football game, the only difference is that this is way more important. Thank you much to everyone who is behind me and supporting me in this contest and hopefully in ten weeks you'll be seeing a lot less of  me ;). Aloha!

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck my brother, we're so excited for you and can't wait to see the end result. Much Aloha, The Ronk Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember carbs are not your friend. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so proud of you Daddy and your going to do AWESOME!!! We're behind you 110%!!! We Love you So Much:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck mike! That is awesome! Work hard

    ReplyDelete