Friday, March 11, 2011

Getting back to basics

     For those of you who don't know, I was eliminated last week from the Big Loser competition, I gained .8 lbs. Initially I didn't feel hurt by the elimination. I already set my mind to the idea that I won't look at this as a "competition" and that I need to do all I can get an edge on my competitors. In the beginning they were looked at as my competition and  I saw them as a threat. Now I know them as my friends, and I'm happy to be going through this experience with them and the things that we've learned from each other. Just like every other issue that you may face in life, there's nothing like having someone there by your side who is going through the exact same thing as you are. In the end, I was very upset about the outcome of our Wednesday meeting but not because of what you might think. I'm upset that I gained weight! Looking back at before I started this program I worked for Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I got a free hamburger and fries every day I worked. Drank soda and powerade all day and didn't exercise! At home I would eat at least half a pot of rice, have 4 packages of Ramen Noodles with 3 eggs and whatever else I felt like eating. At that rate I figured I would have moved on to being close to 500 lbs. but oddly enough I maintained at 415 lbs. With the better food choices I've been making, the more effort I've been putting into my days and even "thinking" healthy I think I should at least be loosing 5 lbs a week. But I didn't, I gained weight and that's very upsetting and frustrating. Making me feel like I put forth all that effort just to gain weight, I was under the impression that it was supposed to go the other way around.
     I think now, in this blog, would be the part where I evaluate what went "wrong" in my week that contributed to me gaining weight and resulting in being voted out. But I'm not going to do that. I took the necessary time I felt I needed to just be in my own thoughts, kick myself for getting too cocky and am ready to move on. I've made the choices I thought were necessary last week, I know that it helped me physically and emotionally. It's just that gravity and I didn't agree with each other at the scale. Last week I walk/ran a 5K in 49 minutes, I swam 900 meters in 45 min (which is something I've never even attempted), I did 2 sets of 15 (real) push ups on the little balance ball thing that they have at the gym and when I first started this contest I could only do 3! I pushed my three babies in a stroller through the entire stop sign hike out in Ivans! FORGET WHAT THE SCALE SAYS! I had one of the best weeks of my life, physically, than I have had in....I can't remember when I was that active. I fit my clothes a lot better, I can wear more of the clothes that I have, I don't mind walking up the stairs, getting off the floor doesn't make me lose my breath, I don't have to hold my breath to tie my shoes, when I watch tv lying down I don't have to strain to look over my stomach to see the tv...the list goes on and on! I entered this contest to lose weight and I have! I entered this contest to be happy and I am! I've come here with many objectives and I've been accomplishing them. Ya being the winner would have been awesome let alone it would've been really nice to at least make the top 3 but the bottom line is that it doesn't matter what place I'm in. In the long run, my wife and my kids are getting everything from me that I couldn't give them before losing the weight and WANTING to be more active.
     Three more weeks are left and that's a whole lot of time to really do some damage in the gym, out on the road and less at the table ( hehe, get it...damage...at the table :)...well I thought that was funny, anyhoo). I'm sticking with the game plan and going back to the basics. You bite it you write it, go hard or go home. There's no need to be fancy about anything, just do it. Once these next three weeks are over, you will be seeing a lot less of me ;). Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment